We, at the University of Oulu, work as part of the international science community to produce new scientific information and science-based solutions. We are committed to educate future pioneers to build a more sustainable, intelligent and humane world. Creating new, taking responsibility and succeeding together are values that build a strong foundation for all our actions.
A postdoctoral researcher position is available at the University of Oulu, Finland, Ecology and Genetics Research Unit, project “Microbes and the floating-hook moss in phytoremediation of mining water (MoPoW)”. The project is focused on symbiotic plant-microbe interactions in phytoremediation of mining water in cold conditions. Mining has become prominent in the Arctic as a phenomenon of global change. However, the methods may not be environment friendly, and the Arctic is vulnerable for environmental disturbance. Sustainable treatment methods for removing heavy metals from mining water are therefore urgently needed. Microbes can significantly enhance the uptake of heavy metals by plants, and floating-hook moss is efficient in accumulating toxic contaminants from wastewater in cold conditions. One of the main aims of the project is to identify microbial species of floating-hook moss with a role in purification of contaminated water, and to localize the metal accumulation and corresponding microbial species in moss tissues.
We are looking for a postdoctoral researcher with prior experience in research on mutualistic plant-microbe interactions (preferably endophytes), and use of confocal laser scanning microscopy. Further skills in microscopy and development of oligonucleotide probes for detection or identification of endophytic microbes in plant tissues are appreciated.
The successful candidate:
- easily communicates in an open verbal manner and has a team player spirit
- has an ambitious work ethic
- critically contributes to writing of manuscripts and grant proposals
- makes efforts to obtain independent funding
- fuels internal discussions of recent publications in the field
- sets an example to younger PhD students in the lab
- identifies directions for future scientific research
- holds a PhD degree in plant biology, microbiology, or other relevant field, obtained less than ten years ago
- We offer a postdoctoral research position within one of the top innovating universities in Northern Europe.
- The contract is initially for 2 years, starting September 1, 2021
- Salary: Postdoctoral researcher demand level is 5-6. In addition, a personal salary component based on work performance will be paid (maximum of 50% of the job-specific component). Typical salary for a postdoctoral researcher is 3300-3500 € per month (before taxes).
You can apply for this job no later than August 8, 2021, through the University of Oulu recruitment system. The application should be written in English and include the following:
- CV (max 2 pages)
- publication list
- motivation letter with two references named
For further information, contact Dr. Anna Maria Pirttilä, +358-294 48 1545.
Due to university`s holiday season in July, please contact with possible questions during these time periods: 17.6. – 24.6. or 2.8. – 8.8. 2021.Continue reading
|Title||A Postdoctoral Researcher in Plant-Endophyte Interactions|
|Employer||University of Oulu|
|Job location||Pentti Kaiteran katu 1, 90570 Oulu|
|Published||June 18, 2021|
|Application deadline||August 8, 2021|
|Job types||Postdoc  |
|Fields||Botany and plant science,   Microbiology  |