The University of Luxembourg aspires to be one of Europe’s most highly regarded universities with a distinctly international and interdisciplinary character. It fosters the cross-fertilisation of research and teaching, is relevant to its country, is known worldwide for its research and teaching in targeted areas, and is establishing itself as an innovative model for contemporary European Higher Education. The University`s core asset is its well-connected world-class academic staff which will attract the most motivated, talented and creative students and young researchers who will learn to enjoy taking up challenges and develop into visionary thinkers able to shape society.
Reporting to the Vice-rector for Academic Affairs, the Head of Student department will be responsible for the development and management of the service, providing vision and leadership to the organization. The ideal candidate is an innovative thinking, results oriented, dynamic people manager with a track record of success in the management of essential activities of the University. In addition, the successful candidate is a compelling leader who has demonstrated abilities in a growing and complex operating environment, including quality-assurance development and implementation through recognized procedures.
We’re looking for people driven by excellence, excited about innovation, and looking to make a difference. If this sounds like you, you’ve come to the right place!
- Take responsibility for all strategic and operational issues related to the Student department (budget, 4-year plan, student housing and related operations)
- Deliver the University’s centralised student services: student admissions, accommodation, financial support, diplomas; inclusion and reasonable adjustments; psychological support; student association, events and leisure activities
- Respond and coordinate responses to urgent, sometimes complicated issues, e.g. referral of students to health services or police; resolving problems with residences; pandemic-related emergencies. Ability to function well in stressful situations
- Provide high value-added consulting services to the academic and administrative entities of the University (faculties, student associations and Student Delegation, as well as with the University’s Ombudsman)
- Provide leadership and guidance for the implementation of innovative measures aimed at improving student services
- Responsibility for a team of 20 people led by 2 Team Leaders
- Drive projects and develop tools related to student services (controlling, IT-system, policies and procedures, etc…)
- Provide expertise in process improvement tools and methods to targeted functions of the organisation to support them in their continuous improvement activities
- Represent the SEVE internally and externally, e.g. MESR, MAEE, Cedies, Fonds du logement, consulates
What we expect from you…
- University degree, with previous experience within the research and innovation sector or in an academic setting is a plus
- Successful track record finding creative solutions to complex problems and planning, facilitating and evaluating transformational change in a challenging, multi-stakeholder organization
- Demonstrated experience in developing programs and services relevant to student needs
- Excellent time management and organizational skills in order to develop priorities and meet deadlines
- Ability to collaborate and communicate effectively in a complex, matrix-based organisation
- Willingly adapts to changing circumstances by positively embracing new and different ideas, approaches and ways of working
- Strong people skills, self-starter, flexible and excellent team player who is able to work collaboratively with and through others
- Able to navigate in a multicultural environment and who is able to establish and maintain strong relationships
- Fluency in French and English are mandatory, German and Luxembourgish would be an advantage
- Contract Type: Unbefristeter Vertrag
- Work Hours: Vollzeit 40.0 Stunden pro Woche
- Foreseen starting date: 1st of August 2021
- Location: Belval
- Job Reference: UOL04142
How to apply...
Applications should include:
- Curriculum Vitae
- Cover letter
Early application is highly encouraged, as the applications will be processed upon reception. Please apply ONLINE formally through the HR system. Applications by email will not be considered.
The University of Luxembourg embraces inclusion and diversity as key values. We are fully committed to removing any discriminatory barrier related to gender, and not only, in recruitment and career progression of our staff.
In return you will get…
- Multilingual and international character. Modern institution with a personal atmosphere. Staff coming from 90 countries. Member of the “University of the Greater Region” (UniGR).
- A modern and dynamic university. High-quality equipment. Close ties to the business world and to the Luxembourg labour market. A unique urban site with excellent infrastructure.
- A partner for society and industry. Cooperation with European institutions, innovative companies, the Financial Centre and with numerous non-academic partners such as ministries, local governments, associations, NGOs …