Department: Institute of Development Policy (IOB)
The Institute of Development Policy (IOB) of the University of Antwerp wants to contribute to a more just and sustainable world through multidisciplinary academic research, education, partnerships and political engagement. More information about the institute and its activities can be found at www.uantwerp.be/iob.
The Institute of Development Policy (IOB) is looking for a full-time (100%)
Postdoctoral researcher in the field of “Development Processes, Actors and Policies”
- You expand the scientific research and outreach of the Institute in line with one or more of the research lines of the strategy of the IOB research group development processes, actors and policies.
- Your teaching duties will be limited to 10%. You will be contributing to IOB’s teaching team, preferably teaching in the quantitative research methods units of “Research Methods II”: “Unit 1: Working with Data (1.5 ECTS)” and “Unit 2: Regression analysis and inference (3 ECTS)”. These courses start mid-October.
- You contribute to the internationalization of IOB, strengthening the network of contacts of IOB with development actors at the international level and preferably in the Global South.
- You apply for and acquire external funding for a post-doctoral position at IOB by October 2022 at the latest.
- Your research adopts a multidisciplinary perspective, includes fieldwork and uses a combination of methods, in accordance with the IOB Research Strategy 2017-2022.
- You are a team-player, performing tasks of a public goods nature at the level of the Institute and the University, and society at large.
- You hold a PhD in Development Studies or related social science disciplines (or you will have obtained it by the time you start work).
- Your work is preferably interdisciplinary in nature and preferably engages with a mixture of methodological approaches.
- You have an international academic CV and perform qualitatively outstanding academic research, enabling you to qualify for seeking external finance as post-doctoral researcher.
- You are quality-oriented, conscientious, creative and cooperative.
- Your publication track record demonstrates your potential to act as a catalyst for interdisciplinary and mixed-methods research, for instance, by means of (co-) authorship of articles or (co-)promotership of projects in the domain.
- You have an excellent knowledge of English. Knowledge of another language is an asset.
- Your research qualities are in line with the institute and university research policies.
- Your teaching competences are in line with the University of Antwerp’s educational vision.
- You act with attention to quality, integrity, creativity and cooperation
What we offer
- We offer a full-time contract as a postdoctoral researcher for a period of 1 October 2021 to 30 September 2022.
- Your gross monthly salary is calculated according to the pay scale for a principal research fellow in the contract research staff category (Dutch: Bijzonder Academisch Personeel, BAP).
- The planned start date is 1 October 2020; teaching starts mid-October.
- You will do most of your work at City Campus in a dynamic and stimulating working environment.
- Find out more about working at the University of Antwerp here.
Want to apply?
- You can apply for this vacancy through the University of Antwerp’s online job application platform up to and including 7 March 2021 (by midnight Brussels time). Click on 'apply', complete the online application form and don’t forget to include the following document(s): (1) a motivation letter, (2) your academic CV, (3) a proposal of the value added you can bring to IOB’s agenda of research and outreach activities (approx. 1.000 words). This document must be submitted in English.
- The selection committee will review all of the applications as soon as possible after the application deadline. As soon as a decision has been made, we will inform you about the next steps in the selection procedure. Please make a note of the following date: Monday 19 April 2021 (selection interview).
- If you have any questions about the online application form, please check the frequently asked questions or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have any questions about the job itself, please contact Prof. dr. Johan Bastiaensen (email@example.com).
The University of Antwerp received the European Commission’s HR Excellence in Research Award for its HR policy. We are a sustainable, family-friendly organisation which invests in its employees’ growth. We encourage diversity and attach great importance to an inclusive working environment and equal opportunities, regardless of gender identity, disability, race, ethnicity, religion or belief, sexual orientation or age. We encourage people from diverse backgrounds and with diverse characteristics to apply.