→ Apply before 31/12/2021 23:59 (Brussels Time)
→ Department: EA08 - Elektromechanica, Systeem- en Metaalengineering
→ Occupancy rate: 100%
→ Number of positions: 1.00
→ Type of employment: Contract of unlimited duration with clause
→ Term of assignment: 2 years
→ Wage scale: PD1 to PD4 (doctoral degree)
→ Required diploma: PhD
ABOUT GHENT UNIVERSITY
Ghent University is a world of its own. Employing more than 8,000 people, it is actively involved in education and research, management and administration, as well as technical and social service provision on a daily basis. It is one of the largest, most exciting employers in the area and offers great career opportunities. With its 11 faculties and more than 80 departments offering state-of-the-art study programmes grounded in research in a wide range of academic fields, Ghent University is a logical choice for its staff and students.
- At least 70% of your assignment will be spent on academic research.
- You contribute to the research in the project BORNE, funded by the Energy Transition Fund.
- You develop CFD/FSI codes for the simulation of airborne wind energy (AWE) systems, with focus on the effect of turbulent wind and the coupling with the deformation of the airplane or kite.
- You write articles in scientific journals and present at conferences.
- You help with the supervision of the PhD students in the BORNE project and other researchers working on related topics.
- You contribute to the team Fluid Mechanics, part of the research group Sustainable Thermo-Fluid Energy Systems in the faculty Engineering and Architecture of Ghent University.
- You contribute to the teaching related to fluid mechanics.
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR
- You hold a thesis-based doctorate in Mechanical Engineering, Computational Engineering or Fluid Mechanics (obtained max. 6 years ago. This term of 6 years is determined by the date written on the above-mentioned required diploma).
- You have experience with the development of computational fluid dynamics (CFD) tools.
- You have experience with the simulation of turbulent wind, preferably in Ansys Fluent and/or OpenFOAM.
- You have experience with writing scientific papers.
- You have strong motivation for scientific research at a high level.
- You have good analytical and technical skills.
- You take responsibility for the development of your research in a well-structured, thorough way, and you are able to solve problems independently. You display creativity in solving problems, generating ideas or finding new ways of working.
- You have an open personality and are willing to contribute to the team and participate in didactic projects.
- You have excellent communication skills in English, both orally and written.
WHAT WE CAN OFFER YOU
- We offer you a contract of indefinite duration with a maximum term of 2 years.
- Your contract will start in the fall of 2021 at the earliest.
- Your remuneration will be determined by salary scale PD1. Click here for more information about our salary scales.
- All Ghent University staff members enjoy a number of benefits, such as a wide range of training and education opportunities, 35 days of holiday leave (on an annual basis for a full-time job) supplemented by annual fixed bridge days, a bicycle allowance and eco vouchers.. Click here for a complete overview of all the staff benefits (in Dutch).
Apply online through the e-recruitment system before the application deadline (see above). We do not accept late applications or applications that are not submitted through the online system.
Your application must include the following documents:
- In the field ‘CV’: your CV and an overview of your study results (merged into one pdf file)
- In the field ‘Cover letter’: your application letter in pdf format
- In the field ‘Diploma’: a transcript of the required degree (if already in your possession). If you have a foreign diploma in a language other than our national languages (Dutch, French or German) or English, please add a translation in one of the mentioned languages.
- In the field “other documents”: reference letters, an overview of your study results, most important publications…
Note that the maximum file size for each field is 10 MB.
As Ghent University maintains an equal opportunities and diversity policy, everyone is encouraged to apply for this position.
For more information about this vacancy, please contact Prof. Joris Degroote (email@example.com). Important: do NOT send your application by email, but apply online.
Do you have a question? Please read our FAQ regarding the online application process.