Empa - the place where innovation starts
Empa is the research institute for materials science and technology of the ETH Domain and conducts cutting-edge research for the benefit of industry and the well-being of society.
The Laboratory for Acoustics/Noise Control at Empa investigates the mechanisms of vibration and sound generation, the propagation of sound waves, as well as the effects of noise. On this basis, together with our industrial and academic partners, we develop materials and technologies for noise control, acoustic models and tools.
As part of our mission, we work on understanding mechanisms of noise generation and approaches to its mitigation in mechanical systems. For the systems investigated in various projects we apply numerical and experimental methods of structural dynamics, taking in consideration aerodynamic, aeroelastic and acoustic requirements.
To complete and strengthen our interdisciplinary and international team, we are looking for a
or electrical engineer/physicist with comparable profile to join our team for the duration of two years.
- Set up, run and evaluate numerical mechanical models of devices and structures, including fluid-structure interaction
- Carry out mechanical (e.g. experimental modal analysis) and acoustic measurements. Critically compare results with simulation output
- Participate in and contribute your knowledge to projects on the optimization of the (vibro)acoustic footprint of devices and structures
- Interact with partners from academia, government, and industry to plan and carry out tasks of the projects and communicate results and information
- Learn novel numerical and experimental techniques to complete your skill set
The profile of the ideal candidate includes:
- Master Degree in Mechanical/Aerospace Engineering (or equivalent)
- Minimum 2 years experience with finite element dynamic response of structures comprising modal, harmonic and transient analysis, and fluid-structure interaction
- Good foundations in structural dynamics and acoustics
- Excellent knowledge of a commercial finite element software (ideally Ansys)
- Strong scripting and programming skills (e.g. Matlab, Python, etc.) applied to data handling and analysis
- Strong interest in research projects involving advanced materials & systems for structural and/or vibro-acoustics applications
- Knowledge of methods in experimental acoustics and experience with experimental validation of numerical models is a plus
- Good English fluency both written and oral (German knowledge is a plus)
For further information about the position please contact Andrea Bergamini email@example.com and visit our websites www.empa.ch/web/s509 and Empa-Video
We look forward to receiving your online application including a letter of motivation, CV, diplomas with transcripts, a brief description of recent projects as well as a concise statement of professional interests and contact details of two referees. Please upload the requested documents through our webpage. Applications via email will not be considered.
Empa, David Heusser, Human Resources, Ueberlandstrasse 129, 8600 Dübendorf, Switzerland.